Monday, July 03, 2006

Ali Mohammad.

I have been spending the last few weeks trying to sell my PowerBook G4 along with some maccessories I aquired for it during the last year. I posted an ad on the ehMac.ca classifies (THE Canadian Mac forum), UsedMac.com, Craigs List, and UsedVictoria.com; I also posted a few paper ads around my university.

My goodness. I recieved some pretty incredible emails from people attempting to SCAM my Powerbook off of me for little or no money. I believe these were mostly the result of my ad on Craigslist, since it is a high volume online Garage Sale website; a perfect price for scammers to spend their time. Many of these scammers required I accept a Western Union money transfer for the full amount I requested; they even offered to send my a FedEx package that I could use to send them my product, free of charge.

Naturally, their link to Western Union leads you to some run-down, animated-gif, mid-90s, waste-of-hyperlinks website that looks nothing like the Wester Union home page. Me, being the clever-lad that I am, was not fooled and replied to those emails with accusations of fraud and distrust. They ceased to send me emails afterwards; if only I could rid my inbox of SPAM so easily.

Below is an email thread between me and one such suspected scammer...

Luke Seeley Email Ali Mohammad Email
Your Name: ali mohammad

Your Email: i.ali.mohammad@gmail.com

Best Offer: $$

Address toronto

Comments: do you still have this power book?
Yes I do. Are you interested?
yes i am interested, could you please tell me how old is your power book and about the memory, hard drive and speed of processor and if it has combo or super drive, just to refresh my memory, i have tons of software so don't worry about the software and yeah one more thing, where are you? i am in toronto, and if you are in montreal, if i like it, pick can be arrange. thanks for replying
ali
I have specs posted at lukees.com/pb

I live in Victoria, BC.
i like your power book, price is ok but i wanted to see it before i buy it, i am a graphic designer, i made some errors last year and defaulted my loan with the bank and bank repossessed all my equipments, the money i have right now for the note book, is my last hope to start my life, this note book will be my tool to earn my bread n butter, so i have to see it before i give my last dollars ... hope that you will understand my point, i thought that you are in ottawa or in montreal, for this type of note book, i can hitch hike to go there and have a look at it and make the transaction.
ali
Hitchhiking from Toronto to Victoria (across Canada) seems like far too much effort to check out a laptop, especially when you could easily find someone selling one in Toronto (check out the classifieds section on ehmac.ca).

Your story and idea to hitch hike to me is very suspicious.

I don't think that someone who needs a laptop to live would hitchhike accross Canada to check one out when, if he were to apply himself, could find one in Toronto.

This is why I don't trust you.
i thought that you are in ottawa or in montreal, for this type of note book, i can hitch hike to go there and have a look at it and make the transaction
you need to read your emails more carefully!
I can read just fine.

What is it you want to do about my powerbook?
if you can read my email, i clear said that i had thought that you are either in ottawa or in montreal and i can hitch hike to come there to see it and then pay for it. BC is out of question, but i really like your power book, your power book remind me my 12 inch power book, which was repossessed by the bank. if i can see you power book, most probably i will buy and pay you $1300.
ali
I read your email just fine; you can't see my powerbook unless you come to me to see it, which you obviously won't do (I wouldn't do it either).

I can read well; it's your lack of correct english grammar and your situation that makes you confusing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home