Monday, July 31, 2006

A Lack of Food: Chapter One.

One week ago I embarked on a 30 day fast-from-anything-I-enjoy-eating to determine whether or not I am hypoglycemic and/or am the victim of a dairy allergy.

It started four years ago when I began my descent into perpetual fatigue-in-the-head. This resulted with a lack of motivation towards anything physical and the beginning of my addiction to the interweb. I would come home after school and go on my computer where I would eat my dinner, do my homework, socialize with what friends I had, entertain myself, relieve myself, and eventually would leave to rock me to sleep with a playlist of TV re-runs.

It wasn’t as bad as it sounds; I was able to motivate myself to perform some sort of physical activity at least 3 times a week. In fact, I was nick-named “The Running Boy” after I had spent years running laps around the fields after school. So, as you can see, this fatigue-in-the-head was not the least bit debilitating; it was just an annoyance that kept me from being able to fully focus in class and pulled a wet blanket over my reputation.

Naturally, my parents had heard me complain about this fatigue over the years and even asked me to go see my doctor about it; he said I was a “healthy young boy”. So last monday I saw a Naturopathic Physician; yes, he is a doctor.

Dr. Kevin Jackson probably asked me more than a hundred questions regarding my lifestyle; this included everything from what I usually snack on, to how often I take make a trip to the john. At the end of our 1h30 meeting he suggested two probable causes for my fatigue: 1) I am hypoglycemic 2) I have an dairy allergy.

He suggested that I go an a special NO-SUGAR diet for 30 days, and, if I wanted, add dairy products to my list of no-no’s. Since there was no way I was going to go 2 months without at least one of my favourite food groups, I accepted his challenge...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hard core!

August 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how's it going?

Maybe you should write a new diet book... I heard there's a shortage of those available.

August 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home