Monday, August 07, 2006

Mice.

Recently, I have started playing LAN StarCraft matches with two of my friends. This usually involves us sitting around the living room of one of our homes with our MacBooks. Unfortunately, this also means gaming in our lap with absolute no table space. Ignoring the pool of sweat beneath our scolding thighs, the only gripe with this situation is trying to use my tethered Mighty Mouse between the inches of space between my thigh and the couch arm-rest.

When Apple announced the bluetooth version of the Mighty Mouse, I suddenly fealt compelled to scoop one up. Fortunately it had a 2 - 3 week wait for shipping, so I had time to convince myself that I didn’t need anymore white in my life. However, I still liked the idea of a bluetooth mouse; you can’t get anymore wireless than that: no dongles; just a mouse and a MacBook. There’s something very pure about that. Not only do I like the idea of a purely wireless mouse, but I also like the idea of orchestrating an explosion of Zerg blood with mouse-in-hand resting comfortably on the armrest of my buddy’s sofa.

It was then that I decided to seek out the most ideal bluetooth mouse for my situation. I looked long and hard and was able to find only a few, including the childishly named Mighty Mouse:

BT600 Wireless Mouse Mighty Mouse The Mouse BT II
Optical 800dpi Tracking
5 Button Control
Vertical Scroll Wheel
2 AAA NiHM Rechargeable Batteries (USB Charging)
Laser 2000dpi Tracking
4 Button Control
360 Degree Scroll Ball
1 or 2 AA Batteries
Optical 800dpi Tracking
2 Button Control
Vertical Scroll Wheel
2 AAA NiHM Rechargeable Batteries (USB Charging)
$59.95us $69.00us $69.99us

Before I lead you to the obvious (if you know me) conclusion, I have to point out that with Apple's education discount, the Mighty Mouse costs about $63us ($71cad) and is shipped for free. With that in mind, the cheapest mouse for me to acquire was the Mighty Mouse (I would have to ship any of these three mice to my home). It also had the highest dpi, allowing for much more precise tracking on many more surfaces than the other two mice (something a nomadic notebook user would find very important). The scroll ball is also my favourite scroll device ever. This does not mean that I didn't give the other two mice a change; I really liked how the BT600 could be used as a USB mouse while charge, however, I have a track-pad and therefore don't really require this feature (if I were using it with the MacMini it would be an incredibly valuable feature). The Mouse BT II, however, really didn't have any stand out feature over the two other mice, other than its steeper price tag, so there was no way I was going to choose that one. In the end, I--obviously--chose the MightMouse and have since ordered it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home