Wednesday, May 03, 2006

No Review This Week.

I have spent a lot of time on purevolume.com. Purevolume.com, like (what I see as) its rival, music.myspace.com, offers a band a chance to promote itself for free or fee; they can post pictures, videos, songs, blogs, and most importantly, accept friend and fan requests. I prefer purevolume because of its more professional and elegant design, it’s complete focus on music (myspace is more about promoting how great you can look at a certain angle), and it’s well designed home page. I have found a lot of the music I listen to on the home page of purevolume; granted, I have only found artists/bands I like that fall under the indie or emo genre, so if you prefer music from the opposite end of the music spectrum, I’d suggest trying a different site. I, like most people with their foot in “the scene”, pride myself on “discovering” bands before they step foot on TRL. Two such bands I have discovered before their debut album and TRL appearance, are Panic at the Disco! and The Academy Is... (both of which feature annoying terminating punctuation).

How do I find such bands? It has to do with three things:

1) I enjoy catchy, empty, upbeat indie/emo/alternative/pop/rock (and more) and so do a lot of other kids. This means that if I am enthusiastic about a band, there’s a good chance that at least one million other youth would feel the same way.

2) Purevolume constantly refreshes their home page with a slew of new featured bands, both unsigned and signed. If I bookmark at least one promising band a week, chances are I’m going to find out about a future success sooner than later.

3) Luck. It takes more than talent for a band to make it big; they also need the right connections and promotions. Relient K could own Avril Lavigne if they were force fed to us as much as “Complicated” was.

I also should mention, I don’t just “discover” the band on purevolume, I also wait for the debut album’s release until I can scoop it up from Amazon. However, the band I planned to review tonight (until I watched “The Weather Man” instead - good movie - makes you think), did not receive any kind of monetary thank you from my end. I have an excuse though: they have only released an EP and I have trouble buying 4-6 song CDs.

Now for the purpose of this post:

This week, I will be reviewing the EP, “Infinite Jest” from the band “We Are The Fury”. Until I tell you my opinion of them, form your own at their purevolume profile page.

A Sidenote: I started my first full time and coop job on Monday and work from 8 - 4 (on average), Monday - Friday. Thus, I have about 6-7 hours of free time during Sunday - Thursday nights. Subtract any time I spend in the bathroom (people might say I spend too much time in there), eating, touching up my ever-thinning hair, and spending time with my friends and girlfriend. Now you may realize why I may be less inclined to spend my few personal minutes each night to post on my sub-popular blog. Feel free to listen to music you like while I’m too busy to write about music I like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home